10 september 2010

Flash assignment

I had to use a flash for this assignment, and as a lover of natural light, this was horrible for me. I felt like the camera was alien in my hand with the flash attached and like it got in the way for the normal, wonderful intimacy I love to feel when photographing.
To make it even more difficult I did not even have a clear idea of what I wanted to photograph. After walking around seemingly endlessly I  went to the park where some people (drunk/stoned/homeless and not homeless) hang out by the river. I started talking to Nicholai and his friends, I chatted for quite some time, and stayed while new people came and other left and I photographed the ones who allowed me to. I wish I had gotten better images so I could go and give them to Nicholai and his friends, but there is only one image that was anything to keep and not sure they would like this in the way I do. Will still try to edit again and see if I have any images to give them as thanks. I liked this image because of the way she looks at me. She was actually posing for the camera and playing with the hair looking sexy but her eyes tells a different story.


I also did some other images, I think they feel cheap and cheesy, but there is something in it I like with the mood. I want to work more on this type of images with the imperfection, and very much need to practice using flash.

1 kommentar:

  1. I haven't really used flash in years, but I used to like playing around with slightly more 'technical' things with it - not just using it to illuminate a conventional sort of subject in low light, but using it in fairly normal light to isolate or 'freeze' a subject against a maybe darker or blurry background; or doing multiple flashes on a single exposure to catch the same subject in a sequence of poses; or just using an ultra-fast flash to try to freeze movement (when I was a kid I spent hours trying to get a perfect shot of a water droplet bouncing back from the surface of a glass of water; if you colour the water droplet, you can see that it doesn't initially mix with the water in the glass at all - on the first bounce, it remains completely intact, a globule of dyed water).

    I look forward to seeing what you're going to try next.

    That is a great shot of the scary-looking woman. Flash often seems to catch people a bit off guard.

    SvaraRadera